Kimberly Douglas reveals truth behind Instagram photos

If you look at photos on Instagram, you will encounter a lot of perfectly staged, beautiful people. But even if it often looks as if the pictures were taken completely by chance, there is a lot of work behind it. The American Kimberly Douglas also really goes to great lengths for her photos.


Here are emotional stories that really inspire you. (Scroll down to the article.)


Kimberly doesn’t post self-portraits where she smiles thoughtfully into her coffee cup; rather, it stages itself in front of true dream backdrops. The highlight: Everything takes place in your tiny guest room. With the simplest of things, the 23-year-old conjures up the sets for the shoots and is the woman in front of and behind the camera.

The results are really impressive! But a look behind the scenes is much more interesting. With a lot of humor, the creative jack-of-all-trades gives an insight into what you have to take for the perfect Instagram picture:

1. “I waited the whole time under the covers until the sun came out from behind the clouds.”

© Instagram / kihmberlie

2. “I put roses in a foam wall for hours! In the end I didn’t have enough flowers and had to crouch under my dress. “

© Instagram / khimberlie

3. “That was a really long day! Inflated the ball and took a steak knife in with me in case something went wrong. Then the inflator fell over, I had to get out of the ball and set everything up again, whirled around with towels and sweat quite a bit … “

© Instagram / khimberlie

4. “This shoot was really exhausting: building the wrong lake, getting the right lighting and cleaning up afterwards. In addition, I was at 37 degrees on what felt like a million blankets. “

© Instagram / khimberlie

5. “I had to think carefully about my poses because the space was so limited and it got pretty hot in there.”

© Instagram / khimberlie

6. “The picture frame kept falling over, I had to balance on two desks and constantly re-drape my dress.”

© Instagram / khimberlie

7. Think outside the box.

© Instagram / khimberlie

8. The bedside lamp is quickly converted.

© Instagram / khimberlie

9. “Lots of towels and my grandma’s blouse.”

© Instagram / khimberlie

10. “I had to glue the petals to my fingers.”

© Instagram / khimberlie

11. For the basketball picture we went to the desert with the trampoline.

© Instagram / khimberlie

12. This makes it easy to bring the jungle into the living room.

© Instagram / kihmberlie

13. “It was super windy; am surprised that my camera did not blow. “

© Instagram / khimberlie

14. “I almost gave up because my nose got water for the 5th time and then the battery on my camera gave up.”

© Instagram / khimberlie

15. “So many balloons popped during the shoot! I was busy setting everything up until 4 am. “

© Instagram / khimberlie

No pain no gain! For 3 years now, Kimberly has been transforming the guest room into a different little world every week – so you can still look forward to some snapshots and funny looks behind the scenes in the future.

Thumbnail: © Instagram / kihmberlie